Monday, February 22, 2010

Snow Grateful . . . Ponderings of a Summer Dreamer during Winter

"I am not fond of snow. Cold, wet winds neither exhilarate nor enthuse me. To praise with joy the glory of harsh winter would be -- for me-- to sing a lie. . .
And yet ...
What graceful glory, serenity of silence, as the full fat moon sends tiny beams to reflect on snowflakes resting, like bridal lace, on the arms of great trees. The absolute stillness of mid-winter's eve unites above with below in such perfect symmetry that my heart swells, and I almost cry at the deep beauty, deeper quiet, deepest Oneness of it all. Thank you. . .
"My spirit does not gleefully jump at soggy mittens, wind weepy eyes, cold ears, runny nose, almost frozen fingers and toes, icicles forming in my hair, or leaving my gloves in the car overnight." ~ Elizabeth A. Johnson from Gratitude: A Way of Life by Louise Hays & Friends
And still . . .
Happily I extend heartfelt gratefulness to: chicken soup, fuzzy slippers, woolen mittens, fluffy pajamas I can wear all day, cozy fireplaces, hot cocoa with cream, tankless hot water heaters, my dog fearlessly dodging into snow drifts, my cat purring cozily on my lap, dressing in layers, snow boots, the smiles snowflakes bring to my children's faces, the laughter that sleds and snowballs bring, the sun brightening up the sky and initiating the great thaw.

"**It is not terribly thrilling for me when parts of life are closed or cancelled like school" or dance classes, or grocery stores, Super Bowl parties, neighborhood roads, or the base hospital. And snow. Snow. Shoveling more and more SNOW. And melted snowy footprints upon which my son slips and breaks his elbow when roads and othopedic clinics are closed.
But also . . . I turn to the window and see the neighborhood children laughing and snowboarding and sledding and building igloos. I join in a snowball fight with my children and fall and giggle until my sides ache. My dog slushes through the piles intentionally as if her life-mission is to conquer the snowbanks in her path. The neighbor's lap dog runs circles around her, taunting her, teasing and prancing atop the snow. My children create snow angels. And then . . .

** I am reminded that God loves to smile!

And I smile too. Nothing to do but savor my daughter's joy at catching a snowflake on her tongue, and my sons' thrill at zooming down sled hills at break-neck speed. Freedom. Happiness. Appreciating the moments when real life slows down and we are FREE to laugh and play and just BE. . .

Wishing you all the blessings of Winter and Life as well,
Leisa

All quotes in the above post came from my reading today in Gratitude: A Way of Life ... which inspired me to expand and share my own story of gratitude here. **Quotes from Elizabeth A. Johnson

No comments: